The aims of any Department must compliment and harmonise with the Mission Statement of the school. The statement gives clear parameters for the Technology Department. Our long term aim is to produce a thinking, adaptable adult capable of taking his / her place in a changing society. We strive to create a distinctive and dynamic partnership between pupils and staff in the Department through our level of care, concern and professionalism.
- To foster awareness, understanding and expertise in those areas of creative thinking which can be expressed and developed through investigation and research, planning, designing, making and evaluating, working with materials and tools.
- To encourage the acquisition of a body of knowledge applicable to solving practical / technological problems operating through processes of analysis, synthesis and realisation.
- To stimulate the development of a range of communication skills which are central to design, making and evaluation.
- To stimulate the development of a range of designing and making skills.
- To encourage students to relate their work to their personal interests and abilities. This should demand active and experimental learning based upon the use of materials in practical areas.
- To promote the development of curiosity, enquiry, initiative, ingenuity, resourcefulness and discrimination.
- To encourage technological awareness, foster attitudes of co-operation and social responsibility, and develop abilities to enhance the quality of the environment.
- To stimulate the exercising of valued judgements of an aesthetic, technical, economic and moral nature.