Family Support & Information

Free Meals Vouchers for Vulnerable Families/Individuals -Winter Support Scheme

Dear Families and Carers

Hillingdon Council are offering financial support for vulnerable Families and Individuals over the Christmas period.

If you are in receipt of  Free School Meals or a qualifying benefit then you can apply for financial support.

Please log onto Hillingdon Council website's  COVID WINTER GRANT SCHEME for further information or click on the link below for more information.

Alternatively click on the link below to access the form

If you have any questions about the scheme, please call Hillingdon Council Contact Centre on 01895 558200 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Alternatively, email    



Food Waste Apps - Struggling to afford food ?  Have food to give away or share ?


Join the #1 free sharing app

On OLIO, you’ll find millions of people giving away food & other household items to their neighbours, all for free.

Fight waste. Help your neighbours. Save our planet. Feel amazing!



Too Good To Go


App Store Google Play


Food Banks


Hillingdon Foodbank

Warehouse Address:(For all food collection and donations)
30, Oxford Road Uxbridge New Denham.


01895 252224 (for all enquiries)



Yiewsley & West Drayton Foodbank


The Yiewsley & West Drayton foodbank is based at
St Matthew's Church Centre
High Street


07462 097357




Information taken from the The Trussell Trust Website:

Emergency Food

 Food banks provide a minimum of three days’ emergency food and support to people in crisis

Food banks work with frontline professionals to identify people in need and issue them with a food bank voucher. These include local agencies such as children’s centres, housing associations, advice charities and mental health teams, who are best placed to assess need.

Once a person is referred, they can bring the voucher to their nearest food bank centre, where it can be exchanged for a parcel containing a minimum of three days’ nutritionally balanced food.

Food banks are designed to provide short-term, emergency support with food during a crisis. Their aim is to relieve the immediate pressure of the crisis by providing food, while also providing additional support to help people resolve the crises that they face.


How to get help from a food bank

Call our free helpline

If you are in financial crisis and live in England or Wales, please call 0808 2082138 for free (open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm) to talk confidentially to a trained Citizens Advice adviser. They will help address your crises and provide support to maximise your income, help you navigate the benefits system and identify any additional grants you could be entitled to. If needed, they’ll issue you with a voucher so you can get an emergency food parcel from your local food bank.

Get in touch with your nearest food bank

Your local food bank will be able to tell you which referral agencies they work with in your area and how you can get a voucher.


Help With Fuel Bills

If you, or someone you care for, is disabled or receives a disability benefit, then you or they could be entitled to financial help with energy bills. There are varying levels of support and availability for those who need it.

Here is a list of schemes designed to help get cheap gas and electricity for disabled and vulnerable customers.

What are social energy tariffs?

Social tariffs are regulated so that you pay no more than a company’s lowest available plan. Energy suppliers may provide a social tariff for vulnerable customers, which can include people with disabilities. If your disability benefit is not quite stretching to cover your energy bills and you are finding it hard to pay, you should contact your supplier and ask about their social tariff. They will ask for some details from you that will help them identify whether or not you’re eligible, then talk you through the process from there.

What is the Warm Home Discount Scheme?

If you, or someone you care for, is finding it difficult to keep warm in winter, you or they may be eligible for the Warm Home Discount scheme, which you could help get you a significant discount on your energy bill. Call 0845 603 9439 for further information.

If entitled, the saving is taken from your electricity bill between the winter months of October and March, instead of being paid directly to you.

What are Cold Weather Payments?

If a period of particularly cold weather has hit your area recently, you could be entitled to Cold Weather Payments. The cold weather must last for seven days or more, with an average temperature of 0°c or lower.

Cold Weather Payments are determined by The Department for Work and Pensions and are added automatically to the benefits of people who are eligible within 14 days after the cold spell. If you’re eligible to receive the payment you should get them sent automatically with your benefit allowance.

What is the Fuel Direct Scheme?

If you struggle to manage payments for your energy bills and have gotten into debt, you can contact your energy supplier about the Fuel Direct Scheme. Fuel Direct can aid energy bill management for those receiving state help by taking outstanding debt, in parts, automatically from their benefit payments.

If you are in doubt about any of your entitlements concerning disability discount on utility bills, you should make it a priority to call your energy supplier. They will be able to give you all the information you need. They often offer those who are disabled help with energy bills. You can also find out more at GOV.UK.

If you are struggling to find the money for bills, it could be you’re simply paying too much for your energy – in which case, it’s time to switch to a better deal. Pop your postcode in the box at the top of the page, to run and instant energy comparison and find a cheaper tariff.

If you have a prepayment meter installed, it could be worth swapping it for a credit meter, as this offers a cheaper way to pay for your energy. For more information see our prepayment meter page.

Carry out annual gas safety checks

If you, or someone you care for, is claiming disability benefits, then you or they could also be entitled to a free gas safety check. A gas safety check ensures that all of your gas appliances – boiler, cooker, fire, etc – are working correctly and safely. They are usually carried out once a year. Contact your gas supplier to find out if you could receive these check-ups for free.


Domestic Abuse 

Click on the link below for a list of local domestic abuse services.

Hillingdon Domestic Abuse Directory of Services

Information taken from Metropolitan Police/ Safer Neighbourhoods:

Domestic Abuse

Domestic violence has unfortunately increased during COVID-19. In the current circumstances, you may not be in a situation where you can speak but you can still call 999.

1. Dial 999

2. Listen to the questions from the operator

3. Respond by coughing or tapping the handset

4. If prompted, press 55 – this lets the 999 operator know it’s a genuine emergency.

National Domestic Violence Helpline Tel: 0808 2000 247 Run in partnership between Women’s Aid & Refuge.

Galop Tel: 0800 999 5428 Emotional and practical support for LGBT people experiencing domestic violence. Email:

Mankind Initiative Tel 01823 334244 Support for male victims of domestic abuse and domestic violence.

Domestic violence Home is not always a safe place. Schools closing could put some children at greater risk of abuse and neglect. If you are worried about a young person, the @NSPCC are here. Call 0808 800 5000 (8am-10pm Mon- Fri/9am-6pm weekends) or email at any time.

The Family Fund

The Government has announced that the charity Family Fund have been allocated some additional funding to help families of children with complex needs in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Family Fund provides grants to families on low incomes who have disabilities or severe medical conditions to help them to access essential items including access to IT.

You can find out more about the Family Fund here: and more details regarding the additional funding can be found here:

16-19 Bursary Fund 

For those students between the ages of 16-19 there is also a government bursary fund where grants for essential equipment to access education can applied for:


Money worries?    These two websites have lots of information.

Money Advice Service –

Money Saving Expert -


CEA Card  

One of our Sixth Form pupils and his family have been able to access the cinema more frequently and have found this scheme very useful.

The Card enables a disabled cinema guest to receive a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them when they visit a participating cinema.

The Card is developed by UKCA’s Disability Working Group, whose members include film exhibitors and distributors, and national disability charities such as Action on Hearing Loss, the RNIB, Dimensions and Muscular Dystrophy UK.

More information about this scheme can be found at


Disability Grants 

Disability Grants

We have been made aware of a website, where you can access grants and funding all in one place:

Please use the website if you wish to sign up for the free newsletter, which is published monthly and contains new additions to the Disability Grants website and other useful information for anyone living with a disability or caring for a disabled person or child.


Blue Badge Parking Permit 

September 2019

The rules on eligibility for a Blue Badge parking permit have recently changed to include less visible disabilities such as autism and mental heath conditions.  If you would like to check whether someone in your family is now eligible for a Blue Badge parking permit please visit    Applications for a blue badge should be made through the

local authority.   For Hillingdon residents visit



Autism Alert Card

An autism alert card and passport scheme has been introduced across London, as a result of a collaboration between the Metropolitan Police Service, City of London Police and British Transport Police. It has been developed following extensive consultations with individuals with autism and their parents, the National Autistic Society, Autism Partnership Boards, and supported by the National Police Autism Association.

The cards will alert officers to the fact that the individual may have difficulty with communication and exhibit unusual or unpredictable behaviour. In turn, officers will be able to make appropriate and reasonable adjustments and interact with the individual appropriately.  The larger passports will include the same information and can be carried in bags or rucksacks for the individual to produce when required.

For further reading, please use this link:

To receive your own card & passport, please send your full postal address in an email to:

Meadow High School may contact some of our families to offer support with applying for one of these cards.